Headquartered in Victoria since 1978, Archipelago Marine Research is a long-standing BC employer. Through additional offices at each of British Columbia’s busiest fishing ports, and its Asia Pacific subsidiary in Australia, Archipelago maintains a staff of 170+ industry professionals including biologists, at-sea observers, dockside monitors, technicians and more. Archipelago provides observer training (with full government certification) for at-sea and dockside monitoring staff, and maintains the highest standards for quality service and professional conduct.
At Archipelago, employees make a commitment to the company and to each other. Employees are expected to contribute to a positive workplace, exercise best efforts, and develop their careers within an atmosphere of cooperation and shared respect; in kind, Archipelago offers gainful employment in a safe, healthy, and respectful environment.
Archipelago posts new opportunities regularly. Check back frequently for the latest postings.
Electronic Monitoring Video Viewer/Office Assistant
Groundfish Monitoring Programs
Port Hardy, British Columbia
Archipelago Marine Research Ltd. is a world leader in the design and implementation of commercial fishery data collection systems. We are a private company with a head office in Victoria, B.C. and three regional offices throughout coastal B.C. Archipelago maintains a staff of 150+ employees, including biologists, technicians, administrative and information technology staff, and fisheries observers. Archipelago is seeking an organized and motivated individual to assist with the delivery of its groundfish monitoring programs in Port Hardy, BC.
- View predetermined imagery for trips made by fishing vessels with EM units onboard
- Identify and record groundfish species being caught by fishing vessels on a hook by hook basis
- Record your findings electronically and provide feedback to the appropriate staff
- Ship, receive, scrub and archive hard drives as needed
- Maintain hard drive inventory in port and communicate with the Victoria office on a regular basis
- Fax/scan paperwork as needed to the Victoria office
- Greet clients and direct them to the appropriate person
- Answer and direct incoming phone calls
- Ensure office is clean and organized
- Highly self-motivated with strong organizational skills
- Ability to work flexible schedules including irregular hours, evenings and weekends
- Ability to work independently, follow procedures, and meet strict timelines
- Ability to identify commercially important marine species an asset
- Must obtain Fisheries Observer Certification through Fisheries and Oceans, Canada*. This required certification training is provided to successful candidates in our 2-week training course.
- Ability to meet the Government of Canada’s security clearance “Enhanced Reliability – Level 1”
- Ability to travel within Canada and the US
- High school graduation as a minimum. Knowledge of the fishing industry is an asset.
- Valid BC Drivers Licence with a reliable vehicle.
- Physically fit to climb ladders to board fishing vessels
* Fisheries Act and Fisheries (General) Regulations state that a person who owns, operates, manages, or is an employee of an enterprise that catches, cultures, processes or transports fish can not be certified as a Fisheries Observer.
Terms of Employment
- Competitive wages starting at $16.56/hour with a guaranteed minimum 4-hour callout on all days worked.
- The work is primarily in Port Hardy, but can also occur in other locations. Ability to travel to other fish landing ports is desirable.
To Apply, submit resume and a hand-written cover letter by:
Archipelago Marine Research Ltd.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: January 20, 2017
Recruitment agencies: Please note that Archipelago does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. From time to time, Archipelago works with a limited number of recruitment agencies to assist with sourcing candidates for specific positions; however, the company only works with recruitment agencies that have signed a written service agreement with Archipelago. Any third-party recruitment agency submitting candidates without an agreement in place will not be eligible to receive any fee, and Archipelago will consider any candidate application submitted without an agreement in place to be the property of Archipelago Marine Research.